Steps to Keep Your Roof In Good Shape
Though most roofs are meant to last a decades or more, some maintenance may be needed along they way. Here are some steps to maintain and keep your roof in good shape.
- Don’t procrastinate replacing your shingles. Replacing or repairing your roof as problems arise can save you a ton of money and stress later. Taking care of your roof will help it remain durable over time.
- Don’t try to fix any roof durning wet weather. A wet roof could cause you to fall; this may result in a bad injury or worse. If you work on the roof on your own, do it when it’s dry and sunny outside.
- Consider the climate when thinking about roofing. Clay roofs are great for dry climates and can help to keep the home cool. Clay roof tiles in a place where it rains all the time can deteriorate quickly. If you’re not sure about this, just ask.
- Make sure the roofing contractor you hire has experience. This is a crucial step since you don’t want to have a poor roofing job done which would result in costly repairs in the future.
- Insurance coverage is essential when it comes to roof work. If the roofer you use causes damage and they are uninsured, it’s going to cost you. Ask not only for proof of insurance, and make sure you see written documentation that it is current and sufficient in amount.
- If you’re looking into hiring a roofer, you should ensure they have proper credentials that are updated. Nearly every state makes licensing a requirement, so make sure yours has a current and valid license.
- The age of your roof is a good indication of whether it needs replacing or replace it. Most roofs need to be replaced about every 20 years. If your new roof is installed over the old one, you definitely need to have it replaced after 20 years.
- Check your roofing materials before installation.
- It’s very important to catch damage to the shingles as soon as possible. Look over your roof, but do so safely.
If you maintain your roof well, it will protect your home well, too. In a lot of ways, the roof of your home is an important asset to you. Use the advice you’ve learned here, and you will have a sturdy and protective roof over your head for many years. For any further questions or a free estimate, contact Dykstra Knight Roofing and Renovations.